25 May 2010

Quiting Smoking One day at a Time (day 2)

I have been smoking for many more years than I would like to admit, however Grant has always said that he would give up smoking when he turned 40 (I think at the time it seemed so far off it wasn't scary) so I said I would give up with him as I didn't think that it would be fair for him to give up and me smoke around him. So the big day came and went and I have now had my last cigarette at 7 pm on Sunday 23rd May 2010. It is now 25th May and let me tell you, it really isn't easy. However I need to do this for so many reasons. They say if you want to give up smoking you should write down the reasons why, so here goes
1. Health reasons: I am a fully fledged chronic Asthma sufferer and am the last person who should be smoking. My lungs probably look like some very over done, burnt steaks at this point of time
2. It smells: my house smells, my carpets smell, my curtains smell, my furniture smells. I smell, my hair smells, my clothes smell. I don't want to smell like cigarettes
3. Financial: between the both of us we are effectively spending about R.1 400 a month on effectively something that is killing us (are we mad) we could rather spend that on going out for lovely meals
4. Fitness level: I am very unfit, could possibly cycle my bike to the top of the driveway before collapsing on the floor. So by giving up smoking I hope to feel much healthier and then can actually start using the trampoline, treadmill, stationery bike, yoga balls, mats etc that I have in my gym (biggest white elephant ever that gym)
5. Social Aspect: very few, and I mean very few of our friends smoke anymore, they have all gradually given up and stuck to it, so going out for dinner now becomes a non smoking event (which Grant and I have to excuse ourselves from to go out side and smoke). Smoking anywhere has become so difficult that it really just isn't worth it any more
6. Apparently after stopping smoke your sense of smell and taste will improve

So here goes, I will wake up each morning and say "Today I will not smoke" and will hopefully be one of those successful quitters, who gained back control of their life. Wish me luck as this is going to be a bumpy ride.
Till next time
xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, you have an extremely positive approach and that will be half the battle. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, so proud of you guys for doing it. I think you have done it the right way, just tell yourselves it is over, use your strong will and kick that habit. Be strong and you guys will pull right through it.

    ReplyDelete