28 June 2010

A Pottering weekend (with water)

On the 16th June, we were rudely awoken by an indoor water feature flowing down both our bar wall and our dining room wall. Firsts things first, off with the water (we learnt that the last time when Grant recently drilled through the gym wall, into a hot water pipe) then on went the welly boots again (they seriously are becoming a necessity these days) and out came the towels again to mop up the mess, (think we are becoming experts when it comes to water management). Anyhow, (I swore to myself, at the start of this blog, that I wouldn't use it to gripe and moan), so cutting a very long and nasty story short, we eventually had water returned to us on Friday (25th June, yes that really is 10 days later). Now I haven't had the chance to potter around my kitchen in all that time so, come Friday night, (and we have water) I decide to spend all weekend pottering, I so love pottering around my house most especially my kitchen, so I went shopping for Friday nights dinner (yay no more take aways) and got home to start cooking. I made prawn and cheese vol e vaunts to start and for the main I made Caribbean fillet of beef with mustard sauce, mushrooms & onions, Mash potatoes and spinach and feta. We then sat down to eat while we watched a DVD (which must have been very innocuous as I can't even remember it's name). Got up early on Saturday to make Grant his smoothie for riding and off he went to cycle. I then spent the morning, taking great pleasure in the fact that I had water, cleaning behind my dishwasher, washing machine & tumble dryer (how boring I hear you say, but so exciting for me, I get such a thrill out of knowing things are spic and span) I then made American Sloppie Joe's for lunch, so when Grant got back from cycling we sat down to eat them (really would recommend them, they are lovely), by then I was bored so suggested that we venture out to 44 Stanley Avenue (a place a friend at work told me about) only to be met with a look of horror and was told definitively that he was watching Rugby and I should too. I passed on his gallant invitation and programmed 44 Stanley Avenue into my trusty Garmin and set off to find out what this place was all about.
Well, I was astounded that such a place is so hidden away, it was an array of bistro's, coffee shops and tiny little eclectic shops full of wonderful treasures, I even found a super little boutique filled with such darling things, so definitely will be going back there. (I did make a couple of purchases there, but that's my secret)
Saturday night I made soup with dumplings and we had chicken and butternut cannelloni for dinner, along with a lovely bottle of Shiraz.
Sunday was a working day around the house, I polished the fireplace, tidied up and then made Jordy's window seat, so she can be surprised when she gets back from Gaberone. The only unfortunate thing is, I made it out of black suede and by the time I was finished my hands were completely black, so although it looks divine, it effectively is a window seat she can't sit on, unless she is wearing black. mmmmm perhaps not such a good idea. Now for the new curtains, will need to get round to making those soon.
Till next time
xoxo


Prawn & Cheese vol e vaunts
Divine Boutique @ 44 Stanley Avenue
More lovely things @ 44 Stanley Avenue
A very Harry Potterish type bookstore @ 44 Stanley Avenue
A really darling apron (have to make myself one of these)
a Sky umbrella @ 44 Stanley Avenue
The finished window seat

No comments:

Post a Comment