08 April 2010

Living in the Country is not for sissies (4)

Our Place, Beautiful Sunsets & Septic Tanks


Did we ever stop and think to ourselves, "we will never get this done" ? sure, all the time, but we had a vision, we knew what we wanted and boy we were determined to get there.


Watching this take shape, was a glorious adventure, and day by day, this monstrosity transformed, until it became "Our Place".

We loved the name, as we felt it was relaxed and welcoming, "come over to Our Place", we could hear ourselves saying, and with Grant's Dad & Wife, as well as my parents planning on moving there as well, this encompassed all of us, it truly is all "Our Place".


We never stopped to think of the change in our lifestyle other, than the idealised version of fresh air and beautiful sunsets. Well the fresh air and beautiful sunsets are there, and boy do we enjoy them, and that is putting it mildly, a sundowner on our patio, as the most magnificent, orange and pink sunset dips into purple and dark blue skies eventually turning to darkness is a sight to behold.

However being such urbanites and coming to the realisation that, horror of horrors, WE HAVE SEPTIC TANKS, was enough to make me run screaming for the trees (you know the perfectly manicured lollipop shaped ones back in the suburbs). I knew we had the dreaded tanks, due to the “incident” with the truck, but had chosen to, pull an ostrich, and firmly blanked it out of my mind, I mean seriously, when you are finished with your business, that should become someone else’s problem.
Here I found myself, having to research what kind of cleaning products I could and could not use, there goes my anti-bacterial products (which I might add were very close to my heart, germs and I don’t go well together), oh and how was I to approach this very sensitive subject with my friends, of what they could and couldn't put down the loo. I refuse point blank to put up signs in my bathrooms, it is just so “public toilet”, and do you know you actually have to activate these things with live bacteria, you know the germs I have spent many years, on a full blown battle to eradicate. I was now buying bottles germs to pour down my toilet. I started to have some very serious thoughts about this living in the country thing and so Grant said for the first (and let me add not the last) time "Living in the country is not for sissies".

No comments:

Post a Comment