27 March 2010

My quest for the perfectly organised home

What possesses me sometimes, although we sit at the End of March, which is effectively the very tail end of Summer, two weeks ago I embarked on a spring clean. I might just add that my entire house was spring cleaned as little time ago as July (also not spring) last year. Where on earth does it all come from, I am almost convinced someone sneaks into my house each night, moves things around and bring unwanted items with them in order to fill up my cupboards with things I don't need. This could however have something to do with the fact that I have a teenage daughter (but I would never dare to accuse).
I tend to start in one room and work my way through the house, well this time I started in my bedroom, well my walk in closet to be exact, and started to feel very unhappy about how dusty my shoes were getting (one of the pitfalls of living in the country and not having a door to my closet). So in order to keep my shoes from getting ruined I embarked on a project, within a project, to sort them out. I started off by purchasing all forms of cleaning goods for shoes, suede stones & brushes, dry clean spray foam, and little polish sponges. each pair of shoes were then cleaned and spruced up back to their former glory. In the mean time I had found out from a colleague at work that you could purchase see through shoe boxes, so I promptly bought five packs of 10 and a two pack of boot boxes. Let me tell you, a person has to be very dedicated to want to use these boxes, as they come flat packed and are really sturdy plastic with very sharp edges. Each box requires each edge to be folded then assembled, as beautiful as they turn out, I am seriously swithering whether kirsching curtains or making shoe boxes is the most evil of the two. My wonderful husband (and I say that with no malice or sarcasm), was having none of this and refused point blank to get caught up in my madness (as he referred to it), Jordy however very kindly assembled ten of the 52, leaving me 42 of these torture boxes to assemble, if I can tell you that for the first time in my life my fingers cramped so much I couldn't move them for ages afterwards. I then placed each pair of shoes delicately into their new home and stacked them like an excell spreadsheet onto my shelves. I might add unfortunately the number of boxes I got were not sufficient so I had to place an order for an additional 30 boxes, which have now been sitting looking at me from the bottom shelf of my closet for the last week and I just can't seem to bring myself to build the remainder, I am seriously thinking of bribing Jordyn with extra pocket money to do it for me, as much as I want the closet finished, the thought of cramping fingers just doesn't enthrall me for some reason. I think Martha would be very disappointed at me right now and I hear her voice in the back of my head, whispering "you will be happy with the result when you are done, now get going !". So on my quest to once again spring clean this house, I will get going again tomorrow (this isn't procrastination, I have friends coming for dinner tonight and I have to whip up some yummy meal, thinking of lasagna, green salad and ciabatta bread). Will keep you updated on progress.
Till next time
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment