13 July 2011

Au Revoir, Adieu, Goodbye

Today a great man left this world, my Grandfather passed on peacefully at the age of 90 (and 10 months).  He lived a wonderful life and spent almost 70 years absolutely adoring and loving my Grandmother, whom he met when she was 18.  Right to the end his only priority was that my Grandmother would be well taken care of, theirs is a story of true love, which has always been an inspiration to me.  Their love spanned World War II (My Grandfather was a navigator in the Royal Air Force and flew with the dam busters, he was also awarded the King  George Cross for bravery), then the time it took for my Grandfather to obtain his law degree,   He wrote a letter every single day and posted them off to my Grandmother who kept each one and tied them up in ribbons.  I am very fortunate to have been given some of those letters and they are truly so beautiful. and will be cherished forever.  After getting married in 1951, my mother was born in 1953, followed four years later with my Aunt Elaine.  This followed with five grandchildren, myself, Donna, Kirsty, Catriona and Euan.  Then last but not least my daughter, their Great Granddaughter Jordyn-Leigh.  We were all so blessed to have my Grandfather in our life, he was such a gentleman, so wise, calm and fair and such a wonderful sense of humour.  I am so thankful that both Grant and Jordyn-Leigh got to meet him and get to know him.
The world was definitely a better place with him in it, he may be gone but will never be forgotten.
All my love forever Grandpa Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment